Monday, March 29, 2010

A feast in the land of no wine...

Cadiem was eating (not really) some red potato fries in the above pic--that he decided to smear all over his head rather than eat. I think they were a little too adult for him since they were flavored with parmesan and garlic... But Jeff and I ate them for lunch today and they were yummy!
We are having a feast tonight, which I just finished "prepping" :) Jeff isn't home yet, but usually I like to pre-prepare when we're having dinner this late. I actually used some recipes (kind of)--usually I just wing it! So, compliments of Bobby Flay, we're having pork chops marinated in Spanish paprika, orange and ginger... Which I tried making last year--but used the wrong paprika--and it wasn't that great. This time, I used the right one--and, I think I forgot to add salt last time (the recipe doesn't call for it) but it definitely needs it! Anyway--I think it's going to be pretty tasty, especially with my additions (mine is HOT!). I also stole Bobby's dill potato salad recipe... Although, mine has extra ingredients, less potatoes, and no smoked salmon (yuck!!), uh, or capers. Mainly the extra ingredients are due to my failing to cut them down according to how many potatoes I used... My 6 compared to his 20... Haha--oops! Wow, my run-on sentences are fantastic! I actually only decided to make it because I thought it just required boiling potatoes and throwing on the sour cream (or... greek yogurt ;) dill sauce... Nope... I also had to throw a bunch of stuff in with the potatoes: parsley, green onions, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, more dill... Pain in the ass! Well, not really, just more time than I wanted to invest. We're also having some lemon asparagus which I may or may not wrap in oh-so-healthy bacon. I've been pretty lazy with my cooking lately, making stuff that's really quick and easy. But something about the nearing warm weather puts me back in the mood :) I was a little sad though tonight, we're wine-less. I like to drink wine while I cook, but I had to settle for a Young's Chocolate Stout that's been in the fridge forever. Not a bad compromise :)
Anyway, tomorrow I will be cleaning ALL DAY LONG in preparation for my mom's visit :) She gets in Wednesday--and Jeff got the day off (YAY!) so we're going to tour around downtown Roanoke and check out the farmer's market and a couple places Nickie suggested.
This past Saturday was Eric's birthday. Happy 28th Eric!! :) A pretty large group of us went to Taaza in Roanoke and it was damn tasty. Unfortunately, I got pulled over on the way home (my lights weren't all the way on--ugh!) and my license happened to be suspended (go figure)... Which I'm guessing is due to an unpaid parking ticket--who knows! But the police officer was really nice and I was rescued by my friends. Thank-you Gene, Nickie, Eric and Nichole!!
Okay, I'm off to the shabath... (It's a bath... but it's a shower... all at the same time... ;)

No comments: